Saturday, July 10, 2010

Hinged Box Tutorial Part 2

OK, we are now moving on to the outside pockets today. In working with my first design I did find some measurement errors so please note the corrected measurements for the front pockets. I will repost a complete sheet once we are done the construction phase.

Back and Front Pockets

Back Pocket - Cut 1 at 7.5" x 4"
Center Front Pocket - Cut 1 at 3.5" x 4" (size change from original drawing)
Side Front Pockets - Cut 2 at 3.25" x 3.5" (size change from original drawing)

For the back and center front panels core 3 sides 1/2" in then another 1/2" in from your first score as shown below. 



Cut away 3 marked corners. Snip in the last remaining square to create a flap. Fold on scores.


Adhere the flaps first then the outside corners. I used my scoring tool to apply pressure from the inside to make a good bond as I was again using CTMH Liquid Glass. Did I tell you how much I love that stuff?

Since the back and center pockets are deeper they were scored at the 1/2" marks. The back is meant to hold more cards or a small notepad and the front center is to hold pens.

Your next two pieces are the side front pockets. They are not as deep so they are scored at the 1/4" mark.
Proceed with the cutting, folding and adhering of these 2 pockets as you did above.

Cover the outside of the back and front of the hinged box and each pocket front with patterned paper then you can adhere the pockets in position. The samples below only show the placement of the pockets before covering with patterned paper. I will post my covered box in the next installment of this tutorial.


Part 3 will be creating inner pockets, a handle and a closure for your hinged box.

Again I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial and feel free to copy the instructions and pictures for your own use - whatever that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.